Orange, Carrot & Walnut Muffins
Yummy and nutritional orange, carrot and walnut muffins made with cricket flour.
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 1 3/4 cups (225g) self-raising flour
- 1/4 cups (75g) Hoppa baking flour
- 3/4 cup (155g) brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated carrot
- 1 cup (100g) coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- 250g cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind, extra
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 cup (80g) icing sugar mixture
Preheat oven to 200°C. Line twelve 1/3 cup (80ml) capacity muffin pans with paper cases.
Combine the flour(s), sugar, carrot, walnuts and orange rind in a large bowl. Combine the egg, buttermilk and oil in a jug and whisk to combine. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and gently stir until just combined (do not over-mix).
Spoon mixture evenly among the prepared pans. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese until light and creamy. Add the extra orange rind, juice and icing sugar and beat until well combined. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the muffins to serve.
Variations: Try your own variations to this recipe to create savoury treats. Substitute carrot with pumpkin or zucchini, experiment with flavoured oils, and use macadamias, pistachios or almonds instead of walnuts.